Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Never Enough NARS

My newest obsession is NARS make-up. Yesterday evening, with a little time to kill before what was one of the best meals I’ve had in a while, I did a quick errand at Sephora. Since I work in Touristville, NY, the make-up boutique calls my name each time I enter the famous Square between 7th and 8th Avenues. While I’ve never been one for fancy and expensive make-up, I have my select splurges: an Urban Decay compact of colorful shadow that is far to fun to fiddle with; Clinique bronzer that is pale enough for the blushing Irish girl in me; MAC lip gloss that’s grossly sticky but perfectly long-lasting. Until yesterday night, I never had a nice eyeliner before. I tend to lose things a lot, so I always settled for the dollar variety from CVS. It did me fine for a while, but with my first paycheck burning a serious hole, I decided to splurge. I tested a few out on my hand, and after removing the rainbow of shadows that I also couldn’t help but sample, I settled on a NARS Liner in “Black Moon.” It is a perfect shade of black that glided on this morning like buttahhhh!

Uncharacteristically, I was also victim to an impulse buy. (I’ve usually got much, much better self control!) I’ve been on a serious hunt for the perfect purple shadow, and NARS came through yet again. The combo pack called “Jolie Poupee” did the trick, so let’s just hope it “brings out the green in my eyes” like my magazine bibles promise. After browsing around on the Sephora website at the other duo compacts available, I know this won’t be my last purchase. Make-up shopping is just FUN! It put me in the best mood for the rest of the night. Not only was the sushi at Aoki divine, but the conversation about NYC real estate with the (potentially!) Brooklyn-bound BT was even better! I hope that she’ll be living large on a new side of the island come December… and not just so I don’t have to deal with the LIRR during my final Christmas break from Stonehill!

In terms of approaching buckets of fun, the Fourth of July is coming up quickly, and after reading this post, I have caught the homemade tortilla bug and just have to try this recipe. Homemade tortillas, GUACAMOLE, and mojitos?! That’s a perfect 4th to me. Throw in my new VV button down that has a silk flag-print collar (Thanks, Filene’s!), and it’s even more festive. My 4th of July weekend plans already include a marathon R family pub crawl through Manhattan and the annual Brooklyn terrace party! The tortillas will just have to find a home among the accumulating plans. No excuses!

0 comments: