Tuesday, June 16, 2009

another reason to love YTTP!

Not that I really need another reason to love my beloved Yoga to the People, but after yesterday’s class, I am officially obsessed: somehow, when poses are instructed in an accent that I placed as either Scottish or Aussie, the class becomes astronomically more enjoyable. He whose name I do not yet know (but certainly plan on learning!) was a tough instructor, urging us to challenge ourselves rather than relax for the hour. Despite my aching abdominals and throbbing thighs, however, I made it through the entire sweaty hour, taking zero breaks to relax in child’s pose. He was very encouraging, telling us to be fearless with each new contortion, which was especially helpful when I reached an – albeit wobbly – dancer’s pose. I can’t wait to go back, and am considering upping my attendance to twice-weekly. Once my brand-spankin’ new Yogitoes mat towel comes in, classes will involve less slippage -- a definite necessity to which I look forward to immensely! All in all, while there were no MK Olsen sightings, the Scottish/Aussie (or maybe he was Kiwi?) dude sure made up for it! Today’s entry includes my first pose of the week: the camel. I was a huge fan of it, as it took pressure off my ready-to-fall-off shoulders.

For those of you out there who have been debating the idea of hot yoga, do it, do it, do it! Yoga to the People is Vinyasa-style, a fast-paced flow that links movement with breath. It’s a style I recommend over Bikrim, which is a stricter practice. Just follow these rules: (1) Drink at least three full Nalgenes on the day you’re taking the class. I drank one in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one between 5 and 6 PM. (The class was at 6). Then take a full bottle into class with you and hydrate throughout with little sips as opposed to giant gulps. (2) Since you sweat a LOT, up your sodium and potassium intake on class days. I drank a can of V8 with breakfast and lunch to ensure that I was sufficient in my intake. I also took a multivitamin with lunch, though that’s a daily occurrence. (3) I learned this from my new yoga friend, E: If you start to feel light headed, refrain from pushing yourself. Retreat to child’s pose and concentrate on breathing to slow your heart rate back down instead of bursting out of the room. The drastic temperature change isn’t healthy.

Good luck, enjoy, and tell me how you like it!

0 comments: