Sunday, August 16, 2009

I haven't stopped gloating...

And the winner of the 2009 Thomson Reuters video competition is...

Once upon a Friday, four enthusiastic Application Support interns made their way from the 3rd floor of their Times Square office complex, ready to join 150 other hopeful interns for the unveiling of the company's summer intern video competition winners. Judged by the Thomson Reuters Markets CEO, the contest boasts some serious swaggar in the form of Flip video cameras, AmEx gift certificates, and most importantly, a lunch with the aforementioned executive. In the awards ceremony that began with a feast of cold pizza, Coca-Cola, and nerves, the four interns sat together, surrounded by two of their mentors, anxious for the third, second, and first place clips to play, thus revealing the results of their summer-long creative project. The third and second place clips were viewed with no problem; the respective teams were rewarded accordingly. As the first place film was about to be revealed, however, the four App Support interns' pending prizes on the line, technology intervened, shutting down the live feed of the laptop to the "Millennium Room" wall of HD TVs. The female intern amongst the other three males started tapping her pink stiletto like there was no tomorrow, while the three gents shook their knees in the most frustrated of manners. In a span of five minutes that seemed to last longer than back-to-back viewings of Gone with the Wind, the technological snafu was repaired, giving the interns a hot second to regroup before the first place film's unveiling. And what happens next?

THEY REVEAL MY NAME! ME! I WON THE MAJOR PRIZE! Sometime in the next three months, I will get flown from Boston to New York for a lunch at the restaurant of my choice where I will get to wine and dine with the brains behind the bucks of Thomson Reuters. I also get a sa-weet bit of ca$h money, which I plan on using to buy something ultra fabulous. My boss was on vacation at the time, so after calling and e-mailing him the good news, he made a really bright statement: "When good people come together, great things happen." I couldn't appreciate his comment more, as I would not have been able to complete the winning movie without his guidance, and of course the help, ideas, and amusing banter of my fellow interns and teammates CA, JN, and VK. I was never much of an athlete, but I must say, teamwork is seriously the best way to go!

Now all I have to do is plan an AMAZING ensemble for the November lunch...

1 comments:

ML said...

flip video cam? hmmm, i'd say if you had that in your possession by this friday it could make for some interesting vid clips at the marriott.. just a thought. also- i am emailing you my song list :)